Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
As I fly out for my Irish pilgrimage this evening I will dwell on the vow I have made before my congregation and my family. I will be reminded of this vow as I feel my shaved head (my girls will shave it today) for weeks to come! I’ve inserted some of the words from my sermon yesterday, in particular the simple three part vow I have made. Joy in Christ be yours in abundance!
- Pastor Tim
1. To go in Jesus name
2. To go seeking to become more Christ-like in my service of others
3. To go ready and open to God changing me
- I will hike, explore, read and learn from people I meet, but there is more to it
- I seek to set a tone as I begin this venture - to sanctify it – make it sacred
- It must start with a confident assertion in whose name I go
- I go in Jesus name
- I need to know for what purpose I go
- Mark 10:35-45: Do you want to be great? Be a servant.
- Christ went to serve sacrificially
- I do not go to find personal happiness, to test my physical limits and see how far I can walk in a day, or to simply escape busy life
- I need to go with an attitude to become more Christ-like in service of others
- Acts 18:18 - Paul left the brothers and sisters in Corinth and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken.
- I am no apostle Paul!! We don’t know the particular vow he took, but I do want to take this trip very seriously
- The Great Commission is for us… let us all hear the sending words of Christ
- GO! for the Missio Dei – the Mission of God - continues through you
Closing words from a hymn of St. Patrick (patron Saint of Ireland)
I bind unto myself the name, the strong name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same, the Three in One, the One in Three,
of whom all nature hath creation, eternal Father, Spirit, Word.
Praise to the Lord of my salvation; salvation is of Christ the Lord!